Active Forum Topics | Getting Started | Interviews | EMR Forum | Medical | Billings | Press & News | Voice Recognition | The Water Cooler
I am looking for a practice management software to be used with Modernizing Medicine's EMA. The 4 that I am considering are Advanced MD, Athena, Clinix, and Kareo. Does anyone have advice regarding these four options? I am in a solo practice.
I will provide my 2 cents worth from what I know so far about these systems. I am assuming that it is likely you specialize in Dermatology since that seems to be the heaviest concentration of customers for EMA.
- Definitely recommend going the web-based SAAS (software as a service) route when it comes to solo practices. It keeps your up front expenses low and provides you with mobility and scalability if needed. No product is going to be perfect but I believe the future is in SAAS based, web native products hence I lean that way.
- Make sure to get a demo from all the products you are considering (at least a short web based demo) so you can compare your primary needs between the options
- I am not too familiar with Clinix, though I know they are an EMA partner. They appear to SAAS based but unsure if they are truly a web based product in terms of design and not via Citrix, Remote desktop, VPN, etc. Check on that. Have not run into that name too often though that does not dictate the quality of a product.
- Athena may not work with the EMA model you have in mind because Athena works in the all or nothing style from what I know. They would want you to be on their EHR, not EMA. I believe it also requires you to hand over the RCM / billing functions to them.
- Kareo operates on a similar model to AdvancedMD. Also integrated with EMA and web based as well. They seem to have quite a few happy customers. Have a few pricing points based on what you need but you would end up with the mid or above package for the support and features you need anyway. They had some support issues a handful of years back but think they have been addressed.
- AdvancedMD is also a good web based product, subscription based and integrated with EMA. Recently saw EMA + AMD put out a press release mentioning their tight integration. From a size standpoint, larger than Kareo and now owned by ADP, the payroll/ benefits giant. You will gain from a large network of customers and broader feature set with this product. Pricing model similar to Kareo.
Full disclosure: As part of a revenue cycle management and billing firm, I have used AdvancedMD for many clients including the combination of EMA with AdvancedMD for dermatologists. We have been quite happy with that partnership and with AdvancedMD. You will likely end up with either AdvancedMD or Kareo. If you already outsource your billing function, you might want to consider RCM firms such as ours (www.nextservices.com) that will assist you with the combination of AdvancedMD with EMA and handle the customization, implementation, migration and training on AdvancedMD.
Hope the above was helpful. If you need any more information, feel free to reach me directly through this post.
Good luck with your search.
NOTE: The above are just my personal opinions and not intended to be anything more than in any shape or form.
At this point, why bother with Practice Manager Software? Why not go to a full-blown EMR in the interest of Establishing "Meaningful Use."
With the funding available by establishing Meaningful Use, you won't have to go out of pocket and you can use the best of the best EMR and not have to worry about the cost.
Are you currently using ANY type of PMS, EMR or EHR?
Thanks. This is for a solo ophthalmology practice actually. All 4 of these do have bi directional integration with EMA, including Athena. I believe they take a cut of your collections though, as they do some of the billing work.
If you selected a system that does not provide Automated Appointment Reminders, consider using the services provided by Ntegrus Solutions. It works with any product that can produce an appointment schedule, and in the case of Kareo doesn't require any effort on your part. See www.Ntegrus.com or www.Facebook.com/Ntegrus for more information.
I am setting up a dermatology practice and we have decided to go with EMA for Dermatology (Modernizing Medicine) and AdvancedMD. I am concerned that we may need your guidance, and if so, how can I connect with you? Feel free to call me at 718-270-7383 or my cell 917-885-8854. Jonathan (or email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Hi i am new in this forum and MediGraph Software: leading the industry for 12+ years
providing a total Web-based physical therapy software solution, including
documentation, integrated billing, scheduling, evidence based medicine for
physical therapy / occupational therapy.